Homemade Gravy Recipe: A Comforting Classic
There’s nothing quite like a gravy to elevate your meal to a new level of comfort and flavor. Whether you’re serving it over roast turkey, mashed potatoes, a hearty meatloaf, or even a medley of vegetables, a rich and flavorful gravy can make any dish feel complete. In this post, we’re sharing a simple and delicious homemade gravy recipe that’ll enhance your meals with ease!
Looking for something to pair this gravy with? Check out these additional Cooked on Propane blog!
Homemade Gravy Recipe
- 1 Propane Stove
- 1 Medium Saucepan
- 2 tbsp Butter salted or unsalted
- 2 tbsp All- Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Broth choice of flavor from chicken, turkey, vegetable, or beef (homemade or store-bought)
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream option to substitute with milk for a lighter version
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Additional Seasoning customize your gravy by adding herbs, spices, or any seasonings that suit your palate.
- Prepare Your Ingredients: Start by measuring out all your ingredients to have them ready. This will make the cooking process smoother and more enjoyable
- Create the Roux: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter slowly over medium heat. Once melted, begin to add the flour by sprinkling it in, and stir constantly with a whisk till smooth. Continue to cook and stir for about 2-3 minutes or until the roux turns a light, golden brown color. This step is crucial for flavor development.
- Add the Broth: Gradually pour in the cup of broth while continuing to whisk the roux. This will create a smooth and lump-free mixture.Allow the mixture to come to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally. It will begin to thicken as it cooks. This should takeabout 5-7 minutes
- Incorporate the Cream: Once the gravy has reached your desired consistency, add the heavy cream or milk and stir it in. Let the mixture simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes to thicken slightly more.
- Season to Perfection: Taste your gravy and season it with salt and pepper to your liking, plus any other seasonings of choice. Pro tip: We like to remind our cooks to be cautious with the salt, as the broth may already contain some.
- Serve and Enjoy: Your homemade gravy is now ready to be poured over your favorite dishes! Whether it's roasted meats, mashed potatoes and vegetables, or even biscuits, this gravy will take your meal to the next level.
Share this story, choose your platform:
Peace of mind
fuel supply, when
you need it
Locations providing exceptional service to local communities across 42 states
Years serving our customers and their communities. Customer satisfaction since 1928
Dedicated employees ready to assist you with quality service for all your fuel needs
We are here for you with customer service representatives standing by to take your call