You don’t have to completely give up meat to celebrate Vegetarian Month this October. You can observe Vegetarian Month all year long by participating in Meatless Mondays, planting a garden and growing your own vegetables, and once a week trying a new vegetable. Or you can ease into the vegetarian lifestyle by going meatless for a week, then a month, etc. Regardless, many people love vegetables and look for new and creative ways to cook them. Which is why we are sharing Betty K.’s (Customer service representative in our Greater Baltimore, MD service center) Vegetarian Mushroom Soup recipe (below) with you.
The complete recipe is below. In addition, check out these additional vegetable-based recipes available on our Cooked on Propane blog.
Thank you again Betty K. for sharing this recipe with our readers!
Vegetarian Mushroom Soup
- 1 Propane Stove
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 4 large Onions cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 cup Leeks about 3-4
- 2 tsp Brown sugar
- 4 cup Mushrooms fresh
- 1 cup Carrots finely chopped
- 3 1/2 cups Reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp Cooking wine
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Thyme dried
- 1 cup Cooked rice brown or wild
- 1/2 cup Cold water
- 2 tbsp All-purpose flour
- In large stock pot heat olive oil on a propane stove over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and leeks. Cover and cook till soft, about 10-12 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Uncover and stir in brown sugar. Cook and stir for 2-4 minutes or until golden brown. Do not let it burn!
- Stir in mushrooms and carrots. Cook uncovered, over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in vegetable broth, cooking wine and seasonings.
- In screw-top jar, combine the cold water and flour and cover. Shake well until combined and smooth. Add to the soup mixture and stir in. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook a few minutes more over medium-low heat.
- With a stick blender, do some processing in pot on 1/3 of the soup mixture to smooth and thicken. This gives the soup a silkier texture. For chunkier soup skip this step.
- Add the cooked rice to desired volume.
Share this story, choose your platform:
Peace of mind
fuel supply, when
you need it
Locations providing exceptional service to local communities across 42 states
Years serving our customers and their communities. Customer satisfaction since 1928
Dedicated employees ready to assist you with quality service for all your fuel needs
We are here for you with customer service representatives standing by to take your call