Homemade Cranberry Sauce: A Simple Recipe for the Holidays
What better way to add a burst of flavor to your festive feast than with a homemade cranberry sauce? If you’re a fan of canned cranberry sauce, this recipe is worth trying! Follow along with our easy Cooked on Propane recipe that combines the tartness of cranberries with just the right amount of sweetness and zest.
Homemade Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- 1 Propane Stove
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar for sugar-free substitute with sweetener of choice
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup orange juice
- zest of one orange
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- pinch of salt to taste
For additional flavors based on preference, the following ingredients pair beautifully for the ultimate homemade cranberry sauce recipe:
- Seasoning: cinnamon, nutmeg, or allspice
- Texture: pecans, walnuts, or raisins
- Start by rinsing cranberries under cold water and discard any bruised or damaged ones, and drain when clean. Removing damaged cranberries helps ensure a clean and flavorful sauce
- In a medium saucepan, add sugar, water and orange juice, and bring the mixture to a gentle boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally to help dissolve the sugar.
- Once sugar has dissolved, combine the cranberries, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt.
- When mixture reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 15-20 minutes or until it reaches your desired thickness. During this time. the cranberries will begin to burst, releasing their natural juices and flavors.
- Stir occasionally to prevent sticking, and taste the sauce during the process to determine flavor. If you prefer it sweeter, add a bit more sugar to suit your taste.
- Once the sauce is ready, remove it from the heat and let it cool. As it cools, the sauce will continue to thicken.
- Once cooled, refrigerate until ready to serve.
Share this story, choose your platform:
Peace of mind
fuel supply, when
you need it
Locations providing exceptional service to local communities across 42 states
Years serving our customers and their communities. Customer satisfaction since 1928
Dedicated employees ready to assist you with quality service for all your fuel needs
We are here for you with customer service representatives standing by to take your call