These delicious dessert bars, with all the flavors of fall and loaded with chocolate chips, are the perfect way to celebrate Pumpkin Day (October 26th). Thanks to Derrick in our Butler, PA distribution center for the submission.
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bars
- 1 Propane Oven
- 1 cup Butter
- 1 tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Pumpkin
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 large Egg
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flower
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 inch pan with nonstick spray, or line with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 1 cup of butter over medium heat. Don’t let it burn!
- When the butter is still hot, add in 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice. Let the spices toast in the pan for just a few seconds, then remove the pan from heat.
- Stir in 1 cup sugar and 1 cup packed brown sugar.
- Add in 1 cup pumpkin puree from a can. Don't use pumpkin pie filling!
- Add 2 teaspoons vanilla and1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Add 1 egg and stir vigorously right away so that it doesn't curdle. If your butter/sugar mixture is still super-hot, you might want to consider waiting a couple minutes to add the egg.
- Add 2 cups flour, spooned and leveled, but don't stir yet. Add 1 teaspoon baking powder to the flour and use the teaspoon to stir it into the flour.
- Stir in the flour until most of the lumps are gone, but do not over beat.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread to the edges.
- Sprinkle 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips over the top. Use your spatula to gently fold them in so that they are incorporated into the batter. (If you mix the chocolate chips into the warm batter, they will melt right away).
- Bake at 350 for about 25-30minutes. They are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with no wet batter on it. The edges should be pulling slightly from the sides of the pan.
- Let cool before cutting and removing from the pan.
- Keep leftover bars stored on the counter, tightly sealed. They will keep for 2-3 days before getting dried out.
- These bars freeze well! Store in a sealed baggie and freeze for up to 3 months.