Italian Pizza with Sausage, Pepperoni, Caramelized Onions, & Banana Peppers
The third-place winner in our Cooked on Propane National Dairy Month contest with Cabot Creamery is Stephen L. in Fort Wayne, IN. This pizza will have you skipping your local pizza place to come home and enjoy making pizza with your family. Let’s face it, nothing tastes as good as pizza fresh from the oven.
Check out our other Cooked on Propane contest winners:
- 1 Propane oven or propane pizza oven
- 3 cups All-purpose flour
- 1.5 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 1 packet Fast rising yeast or 2 1/2 tsp
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Honey
- 1 1/4 cups Warm water
- 1 small Yellow onion
- 3 oz Banana pepper rings
- 1 cup Pizza sauce
- 1 link Italian sausage sliced thin
- 12 slices Pizza pepperoni
- 6 oz Cabot whole milk mozzarella cheese shredded
- In a large mixing bowl, add warm water and yeast. Blend well using a hand whisk or a hand mixer at low speed.
- Add 1 tsp salt, 2 Tbsp olive oil, and honey to the bowl, then 1 cup flour. Using a wooden spoon or mixer at low speed, mix until well blended.
- Slowly add the remaining 2 cups of flour using a wooden spoon or mixer with a dough hook and mix until a firm dough is formed.
- Set aside and cover the bowl using a kitchen towel, then let the dough rise for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is rising, cut the onion in half and slice into thin 1/8” slices.
- Using a sauté pan, add 1 Tbsp olive oil to the pan and heat to medium heat. Add onions and stir to coat the onions in the oil.
- Cook for approximately 5 minutes while continuing to stir the onions, sprinkle with .5 tsp of salt, then cook for 1 minute and add .25 cups of warm water to the pan.
- Cook for about 3 more minutes then add banana pepper rings to the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low then cook for about 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally until both the onions and peppers are nicely browned.
- Place a pizza stone in a cold propane oven, then preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Using a wooden pizza peel, sprinkle the surface with 1.5 Tbsp of flour, then remove your pizza dough and press into the wooden surface.
- Slowly flatten the dough using your hands or a rolling pin, about halfway thru prick multiple times with a fork, then continue to flatten until you form a 12-14” round or oval, it should be about half an inch thick.
- Prick the dough multiple times with a fork, then bake for 2 minutes at 450 degrees.
- Carefully remove the crust from the oven using your pizza peel and let it rest for about 1 minute.
- Spread 1-cup pizza sauce evenly over the surface and then place your onions and peppers over the top of the sauce. Top with 6 oz Cabot whole milk shredded mozzarella cheese and then place on your pepperoni and sausage.
- Bake for an additional 11 minutes at 450 degrees.
- Carefully remove the pizza from the propane oven using your pizza peel and let it rest for 3-4 minutes. Cut into 8 slices and enjoy!
Share this story, choose your platform:
Peace of mind
fuel supply, when
you need it
Locations providing exceptional service to local communities across 42 states
Years serving our customers and their communities. Customer satisfaction since 1928
Dedicated employees ready to assist you with quality service for all your fuel needs
We are here for you with customer service representatives standing by to take your call