Propane is a clean burning fuel source generating less smog than gasoline and diesel. What exactly does that mean? In simple terms, it’s the low amount of carbon monoxide produced, relative to other fuel sources - especially gasoline.
Propane is a green alternative for powering your entire home as well as so much more. Here are just a few ways propane supports sustainable living:
- Propane Fireplace: Choosing a propane fireplace is a green choice and could cost approximately 30-60% less per hour of operation than wood burning fireplaces.
- Water Heater: Hot water heaters account for approximately 20% of your home energy usage. With propane, you’ll use less energy, save money, and reduce your carbon footprint compared with electric units.
- Cooking Appliances: Pilotless ignitions on propane stoves eliminate the need for a constant pilot light, lowering their energy use…and your power bill.
- Propane Grills: Propane grills are 105 times more environmentally friendly than charcoal grills according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- Clothes Drying: Over its lifespan, a propane clothes dryer saves over 2,000 pounds of CO2 emissions compared to an electric model.
- Generators: The shelf life of propane is considered limitless, unlike gasoline, which can start to degrade after a few months without stabilizers. A propane generator that hasn’t run for months isn’t going to be full of contamination or carbon deposits. The same can’t be said for a gas generator.
- Lawn Mowers: When it comes to landscaping, consider a propane lawn mower. One of the main benefits of using a propane lawn mower is its relatively low environmental impact. This green fuel burns on average 35% cleaner than gas.